Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The song

As a song writer I am asked two questions over and over. What type of music/songs do I write and how do I write them or what is the process? After almost 40 years of writing I can finally answer these questions. I think it takes a while of doing music to be able to give a realistic answer to these questions. My music covers a broad spectrum which includes political, protest, gospel, folk, blues, country, bluegrass, ballads, story telling ,children s songs and instrumentals in jazz and blues including mandolin and dulcimer. You notice that I did not say LOVE songs. Didn't Paul McCarthy say something about "just another silly love song" ? But we all know if you play blues or country you write about love, usually lost or wronged or searching. And I do hit on these , but they are not directed at or for anyone. And no, I have not written one for my wife, sorry Dear.
How do I write , what is the process ? This is a little more complicated. I have written a complete song in less than half an hour and some are still not done after 20 years ( I do need to get back to them ). A song can fall out , in the case of a complete song being done never to be revised in minutes. This does not happen often but when it does it consumes me, every thing else is blocked out, nothing exists at that moment, only the song, the feeling, the need to release the emotion and get it down. Of course the right place and time help. Being married with a family, jobs and other commitments factors into it.
What comes first, the chicken or the egg, the words or the music ? They take turns so to speak and the type of song will dictate this. Political songs are almost always a response to a social/ political event, so words usually come first and then I find the music to fit those words. Story telling and ballads tend to work this way also. Blues tend to be music first and as I play words form. This is a great style for improvisation, both words and music. As Lightening Hopkins says " I do what I'm gonna do when I do it".
When the music comes first it is usually the result of just sitting around playing through various styles or genre and hearing a cord or note in a way that I have not heard it before and often the result of a mistake. Mmmm... what can I do with this ? I stretch it, bend it, play it in different positions on the neck, find cords or notes that compliment it and with a little music theory knowledge thrown in a tune emerges. Depending on the style it falls under will influence what type of words I will put to it.
Last but not by any means least is the recording method. I will often go down to the studio and play through my sets of songs switching from acoustic to electric, switching guitars , often pulling out six to a dozen different instruments. When these jam sessions take place I will improvise . When playing the recording back I will find that I have written or begun a new piece. you can play a note on one guitar and it will sound completely different on another guitar. That's why I have so many, Always looking for a different sound or tone. " Variety is the spice of life." So... until my next post, Bend those strings and let'em sing.

1 comment:

  1. HI David,
    It's great to learn about your art and your creative process. One of the things I love about blogging is that it can benefit both the writer and the reader: the writer time to reflect and write, and the reader time to read and reflect.

    ReplyDelete